Thursday, May 13, 2010

Caution: Kids in Training


The past few days have been nuts! The older kids who are normally so helpful, have not been. For some reason chores are not being done at all,  not done properly, or I'm fighting rotten attitudes to get anything done.  I'm having trouble reminding myself that the hard work is worth it; they are in Training.

It seems as if when I ask them to help, I end up making twice as much work for myself. (UGH!) For example, I asked Princess Frances to change the baby's diaper; she chose to do it on my bed, and play with the baby-while the dirty diaper was off and before the new one was on.... you can guess what happened! I had just changed the bedding yesterday. Then I went down to the laundry room to find wet clothes on the floor that had somehow not made the very short journey from the washer to the dryer. (Dee-ee-eep breath!) These are just two of the many examples that I could site from the last couple of days.

 Proverbs 22:6-" Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." Ephesians 6:4- ...bring them (your children) up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord."

Reminder to self: this is when consistency is tough but vital! Training happens just as much now as when things seem to be going smoothly along, perhaps even more so.  I am choosing not to give up and attempt to do it all myself- even though it would be easier for the moment. The long term goal is worth the extra effort for the next few days. :)

So now, I'm off to pray for strength and wisdom, and to oversee the chores and make sure that they are getting re-done the right way.



Update: I'm starting to prep the kids' school work for next week. Check out our main memory verse for the week: Hebrews 12:11- "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."  :)    God's timing is pretty awesome!

4 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife May 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

Love the verse! I use that one all the time.

Hang in there, consistency is the key and you already know that, so you are doing good.

I'm having very similar struggles and could completely identify with this post.

Love ya,
Stacie

Carrie May 14, 2010 at 5:53 AM  

Hi, there! I just saw your blog added to the Lounge blogroll, and I thought I'd say hello!

Have a great weekend!

Cheesemakin' Mamma May 15, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

I'm right there with you! This week has not been fun. It sounds like we had the same week, LOL! I've had to remind myself of the big picture many times this week as I've disciplined and TRAINED. Great post! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog :)

Bethany LaShell June 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

LOVE the comic! Someone needs to make one like that for a mom with teens; we're equally as frazzled.

Thanks for stopping by my blog & commenting last week. Thanks for being honest, too. I have to say that I almost always do laundry, but I don't always fold it if things are really hectic. I think the record for a pile of clean clothes on the floor (that kept growing) was 2 weeks, but don't tell anyone I said that!!