Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Planning our first official "Gottcha Day"


Our adoption attorney has contacted us to let us know that we are getting close to finalizing our adoption of Prince Naveen! :) We were given the option of finalizing everything through the mail, or finalizing at our local courthouse in an official ceremony. Of course, we opted for the ceremony!  Now we are just waiting for official word on the date and time....

Hero is planning a big celebration lunch, grilling the salmon and halibut that my Auntie from Alaska brought to us a few months ago- which have just been sitting in my freezer screaming, "Eat me!"  I was also thinking of doing something special along the lines of purchasing fabric for a special quilt, cutting it into squares and having everyone who comes to the celebration sign or write a message on the squares with fabric pens. I will put it together sometime before he's 18- hopefully. ;-p

Meeting at the courthouse with family and friends for the official ceremony and a celebration lunch at home afterward, I'm thinking that is probably enough for our first "Gottcha Day" celebration. But, I've been thinking about the years to come. I have heard of many other adoptive families celebrating either the day that the child came home, or the date of the finalization of the adoption; I've never heard (or paid attention to) how they celebrate this special day each year. I don't want it to turn into another day of getting presents- like a birthday. So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, or has heard of how other families celebrate the day their child became officially theirs.



2 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife May 26, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

I remember when my brother was officially adopted into our family. We also had a celebration. My aunt owned a limo, so we took a limo from the courthouse to a restaraunt. My first and only trip in a limo.

So glad it is getting finalized!

Cheesemakin' Mamma May 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

I think this is super important to celebrate. Love the idea of a "Gottcha Day"!