Friday, July 30, 2010

Bittersweet


Steps one and two on the How to sell your house list are to Detach and Depersonalize. I accomplished both at the same time yesterday!  :)

Depersonalizing the house simply means to take down all our family photos, family heirlooms, military displays, chore charts, pictures hanging on the fridge, etc. That was bittersweet! We've been in this house for 6 and a half years- that's the longest that I've lived in any one building since getting married!

With everything that I removed from walls, shelves, and appliances, memories came flooding back. I have to admit that I shed a tear or two. It is difficult to say, “Goodbye” to our lives in this house and let go so that someone else can now picture their future here (and desperately want to buy it).  ;)

As I sadly look around the house without my kids' beautiful smiles greeting me everywhere, I realize that this is a process. It is difficult to let go, but letting go makes room for excitement about what the future might hold. I'm so thankful that these were the first steps... it actually makes it easier to face the next task on the list: De-cluttering.

De-cluttering, for me, takes focus, stamina, and patience (lots of it!) with the children while I am trying to focus on the task. De-cluttering is not my forte, but I believe in Hero's dream and want to help him- so off to work I go!


3 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife July 31, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

I like to declutter when the kids aren't around. If there is anyway that you hubby could take the kids for two hours to the park, you could get rid of some stuff without the kids seeing it. Stuff they have long forgotten about, but never use.

I also use black garbage sacks, so once it is gone, they can't see it through the sack and want it back.

I know it's a bit sneaky, but when it comes to decluttering I am ruthless!

LizyBeth July 31, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

I've been ruthless, lately. But I've had to do it in front of the kids. There have been tears, but they are learning what "treasures" really are as we talk through it.

Anonymous,  August 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Great post! thank you for sharing this information. journeyofaheartsetfree.blogspot.com really got under my
[url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] bookmarked... Keep up the good site...